Cooking My Way Through Our CSA: Week 17 (Mid August)
This box was a doozy! There was a huuuuuuuge watermelon hiding in the bottom. Of course, it was filled with all types of delici-osity (Is that a realword? It is now!). If you missed our past pickups, you can read about them HERE. This week we received:
- Peaches Sustainable
- Plums Sustainable
- Donut Peaches Sustainable
- Watermelon Sustainable
- Swiss Chard Sustainable
- Cubanelle and Bell Peppers Sustainable
- Summer Squash Sustainable
- Cucumbers Sustainable
- Beefsteak and Plum Tomatoes Sustainable
- Apples (Sansa/Red Free) Sustainable
- Beets Certified Organic
- Red Onions Sustainable
- Leeks Sustainable
- Kohlrabi Sustainable
- Beans Sustainable
- Sweet Corn Sustainable
Here's the plan:
- Peaches, Plums, Apples, Cucumbers- Snacks
- Beefsteak and Plum Tomatoes- I used to make this Chicken recipe all the time. I think I have to resurrect it.
- Watermelon- I am the weirdo that doesn't really like watermelon. I will slice some up for John and the girls, though. Jemma started asking for Watermelon juice the minute she saw it, so I guess that is what the rest will become. It is super simple... just watermelon flesh in the blender. Shake before serving if you are saving it for later!
- Beans- Green Bean and Shrimp Stir-Fry Rice
- Beets- Macaroni Monday! This sauce sounds SO. GOOD. I cannot wait to try it.
- Swiss Chard- The chard fritters were a hit, so I may just make them again. If I change up the seasonings, no one will know, right? Okay, okay, I'll sub the kale for chard on the chicken recipe.
- Peppers- Roasted, fried, lactofermented... no idea. Maybe just snacked on.
- Summer Squash- Tater tots!
- Corn- On the side for Burger Night!
- Red Onions- Added to the pantry stash... unless they get cooked up to go on the burgers Saturday...
- Leeks- Used as onions in the pantry stash
- Kohlrabi- Oh no! We ate all the dill! No more dilly kohlrabi!
|Not wanting to take a picture, but not wanting a certain baby sister to be in the picture instead... It's so hard being 3!|
Do you participate in a CSA? Any tips for using up the yummy produce or favorite recipes?
For more information on Alstede Farms, please visit alstedefarms.com