Cooking My Way Through Our CSA: Week 16 (Mid August)
Well, we picked up another CSA box this week. If you missed our past pickups, you can read about them HERE. This week we received:
- Peaches – Sustainable
- Nectarines – Sustainable
- Carrots – Sustainable
- Plums – Sustainable
- Cucumbers – Sustainable
- Pickling Cucumbers – Sustainable
- Beefsteak Tomatoes – Sustainable
- Cherry Tomatoes – Sustainable
- Plum Tomatoes – Sustainable
- Beets – Organic
- Beans – Organic
- Arugula – Organic
- Dill – Organic
- Swiss Chard – Sustainable
- Bell Peppers – Sustainable
- Red Leaf Lettuces – Organic
- Apricots – Sustainable
- Bonus: Peaches!
Here's the plan:
- Peaches, Nectarines, Plums, Cherry Tomatoes, Apricots- Snacks
- Beefsteak and Plum Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Arugula, and Lettuces- Salads
- Pickling Cucumbers- Lactofermented with Dill
- Beans- I tried to make dehydrated green beans as a snack before, and it failed miserably. They stayed super chewy no matter what I did. I might try again with these because I really WANT it to work.
- Dill- Dilly Kohlrabi and Pickled Cucumbers
- Beets- I'm thinking a Grain Bowl with the beets, the greens, a grain, and some beans. It is supposed to get hot this week, so it'll be an easy dinner
- Swiss Chard- Chard Fritters this weekend
- Bell Peppers – Fajitas!
- Carrots – Not too sure about these. They usually wind up being thrown into something at the last minute. Or snacked on. We're big snackers.
Do you participate in a CSA? Any tips for using up the yummy produce or favorite recipes?
For more information on Alstede Farms, please visit alstedefarms.com