A Bowl By Any Other Name...


I was always a huge fan of salads.  One of the things my roommate in my college apartment said she missed when I moved out was the little containers of salad ingredients waiting the the fridge, ready to go.  (After we would go food shopping, I used to clean and slice up all the veggies so that we could make a salad quickly, any time we wanted).  As time has passed, though, the salads have evolved.

It started when I added grains in.  Leftover couscous?  Throw it in.  Extra quinoa?  Yes, please!  Then, when I started dating John, I would add in the leftover hummus or baba ganoush that was in the fridge.  Over time, it became more about the add-ins than the actual salad part.  When there were no leafy greens (the horror!), I would still make it, but I was at a loss as to what to call it.

Does a salad with no leafy greens qualify as a salad?  It's one of life's big questions, I know.

So, I called it a grain salad.  Except, sometimes there were no grains.  A veggie salad, then?  I guess, but that didn't really capture it either.  I started just calling them bowls.  It was easier.  I've tweaked them over time, but the premise is the same.  Take grains, veggies, and a protein, mix them together, and top them with a yummy sauce/dressing.

It gets crazier.  (Can bowls of food be crazy?)  I started having them for BREAKFAST.  Leftover grains, nuts, and fruit.  Usually topped with maple syrup because everything is better with maple syrup.

Turns out, I didn't invent these!   I know!  Crazy, right?  Apparently they are called "buddha bowls" or "glory bowls."  Somehow I have spent a decade living under a rock and never knew this.  I still just call them bowls, and they are delish.

Some recent bowls:
Root Veggie Bowl
Green Bean and Sauteed Onion Bowl


I'll be sharing some of my recent bowl recipes in the upcoming posts.  What are your favorite combos?


Share this:

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

1 comments:

  1. My fav is cold quinoa, beans, and rice over greens and veggies like broccoli, peas, etc. with some olive oil and fresh lemon juice!

    ReplyDelete