Perspective.

This post may include rambling, babbling, and run-on sentences.  Consider this your warning. 


Lately there have been a few food-heath related things bopping around my crazy head, and I feel the need to share them.  I mean, what's the point of having a blog if you don't use it to throw your thoughts out on it?!


 First.  My mother-in-law was telling me about a conversation she had with a young woman she works with.  This woman is my age, in fact, she graduated from high school with me.  She has a little boy now, about a year old.  They were discussing her son, and food.  She said that she doesn't cook, because she doesn't know how.  They were walking through the supermarket during this conversation, and my mother-in-law started to tell her how to cook different things.  Her reactions were, "Ewww!! People actually EAT that?!" in reaction to fish and "With all the BONES in it???? Gross!" in reaction to a simple roasted chicken. 

Now, I know that very few people my age are as into cooking and food as I am. I get that.  BUT!!! How are fish and chicken gross?!?!?!  It boggles my mind.  How is it that fish and chicken are disgusting to people, yet fast food, chemicals, and genetically modified things are a great idea.  

Speaking of GMOs, let me tell you about a conversation I had with some of my high school students.  One of the girls came in to the dance studio all upset about something she learned in school.  She takes a horticulture class, and they were learning about how much of our food is (or will soon be if changes don't happen!) genetically modified.  This sparked a heated discussion among the girls after school.  They couldn't believe that things like that exist.  One of the girls, whose mother is all about organic food, was confident that she doesn't eat GMOs.  Then, her friends started naming things like cornstarch that she never thought of.  Then, pot-stirrer that I am, I mentioned that there are plans in the works to allow a certain amount of GMOs in organic foods, "since it is inevitable."  Riiiiight.  Seeing the girls so worked up and... passionate about food left me SO heartened about the future.  As long as there are still people that CARE, there is still hope. 

I'm sorry this is such a rambling post.  Truthfully, I am not even going to go back and re-read this.  If I did, I would probably just delete it, and I don't want that.  

So... Thanks for reading.  

Do you have thoughts floating around your head that you want to share?

This post was featured on Real Food Wednesday with Kelly the Kitchen Kop and Simple Lives Thursday at GNOWFGLINS!

Share this:

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

5 comments:

  1. Your "babbles" totally make sense! It's tough to know what/how to eat - and surprising when people are so distant from their food to not know chickens have bones?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have these similar thoughts all of the time. GMO's scare the crap out of me! I am holding on to the hope (I have to for the sake of my sanity) that there are others that care as much as me, and the numbers are growing every day. The more and more people wake up, become informed and realize how important it is, then maybe we can really get things turned around. I try not to think about it all to much and do what I can for my family. When I do, I get pretty upset about it and worried about my daughter's future and her kid's future. Right now it's all about money, and until enough people realize it and make it more about our health and future instead, it's not going to turn around. Okay... I'll quite rambling now... my point was... you are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Laura Hahaha, your ramble was shorter than mine! I think there is more awareness about it than ever before. Now it just needs to become more mainstream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good post! I completely agree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so agree too, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who rambles! It is crazy what people think is "gross," like fish or eggs, when their idea of a "good afternoon snack" is a package of Oreos. It seems like such a big problem, and little things can't possibly add up to make a big enough difference! I guess all we can do is keep learning, sharing, and feeding our families well!

    ReplyDelete