Cooking My Way Through Our CSA: Week 15 (Early August)
Another week, another box. Now that summer is in full swing, I am having a ball with all of the yummy surprises. Planning everything out like this helps ensure nothing is lost in the back of the fridge, but it isn't set in stone. I change it up if the mood strikes!
If you missed the past pickups, you can read about them HERE. This week we received:
- Peaches Sustainable
- Plums Sustainable
- Arugula Certified Organic
- Leeks Sustainable
- Parsley Sustainable
- Sweet Banana Peppers Sustainable
- Radishes Sustainable
- Eggplant Sustainable
- Bell Peppers Sustainable
- Cherry, Plum, and Beefsteak Tomatoes Sustainable
- Cucumbers Sustainable
- Beans Certified Organic
- Scallions Sustainable
- Carrots Sustainable
- Tomatillos Sustainable
- BONUS!! Extra Peaches!!
Here's the plan:
- Peaches, Plums, Radishes, Scallions, and Cucumbers- Snacks, as usual
- Arugula- This is a perfect base for a tomato arugula salad... perhaps with chicken?
- Leeks- They will probably be used as onions would be.
- Parsley- It is beautiful, I think I will make a tabbouleh with the tomatoes and cucumber!
- Sweet Banana Peppers- I'll probably lactoferment most, and use the rest on a pizza.
- Eggplant- I never ended up making a baba ganoush with last week's. Maybe this one will?
- Bell Peppers- Roasted, definitely roasted
- Cherry, Plum, and Beefsteak Tomatoes- tabbouleh, and a tomato/arugula salad
- Yellow Beans- So... I saw these green bean "chips" at the checkout counter. They looked so good, so I think I have to try making them with the yellow beans
- Carrots- Carrot mash with pork chops
- Tomatillos- John makes a mean salsa with tomatillos. I'll leave them for him.
|This is Jemma's favorite part about our produce pickup (besides the fruit). She immediately asks if it is time for her to do her TADA!!! Makes me smile every time!|
Do you participate in a CSA? Any tips for using up the yummy produce or favorite recipes?
For more information on Alstede Farms, please visit alstedefarms.com