Ginger Carrots

Another fermenting success!  YAYYY!!!!

I went on a bit of a fermenting spree last weekend.  The ginger carrots are first thing that was ready, so here they are!!

First, I shredded up a few carrots in my food processor.  
Then, I added 4 tablespoons of whey, 1 tablespoon of sea salt, and some ginger to the carrots.
I mixed it up, and then mashed it down to let the juices flow!
After it was stuffed into a jar...
I filled it nearly to the top with filtered water and let it sit for 3 days.  
Now, after 2 days, I noticed that there were quite a few bubbles.  By the third day, the the lid was starting to bulge up a little.  When I pressed on it, I could feel that there was a build up in pressure under it.  I knew it was ready at that point.  
 I didn't know just HOW ready it really was!
It kept rising, spilling over the top of the jar!! I hope all my other things turn out this well!

Oh, by the way... Taste wise?  It is yummy!!

This post was featured on Fight Back Fridays at Food Renegade!

Share this:

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

6 comments:

  1. Your ginger carrots sound delicious! I love ginger and carrots together, but I have never fermented carrots before. I must give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I want to try lacto-fermenting. Is there anything I could use besides whey? Would draining plain yogurt and using that whey work?

    And, what does lacto fermented food taste like? Is it tart, bitter, sour, sweet? I'm really curious :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, this looks really delicious! I haven't tried fermented carrots yet either, but it sounds really good. They're easy to always have on hand too, so this could become a standby. Thanks for sharing your good experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Zoë Hi Zoe! You should definitely try it out! I was nervous to, but now I love it! I can't really describe how it tastes... It is a different taste, but I like it. I just asked John, and he said, "Awesome." Helpful, right?! It has a certain bite to it, and it is somewhat sour, but not really.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @DanielleHi Danielle! The have already become a staple! A heaping spoonful on top of fried rice, lo mein noodles, on the side of just about anything. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Zoë: Whey isn't necessary; it will ferment without it. But, yes, you can use whey from commercial yogurt, as long as it is plain yogurt with no additives.

    Personally, I've found I like the taste better when whey is not used. To me, the whey gives it a yogurt-y taste I really don't want in my veggies. It will ferment quicker with the whey though (it gets everything going faster.)

    ReplyDelete