Saffron Orzos

I had a 2 coupons for free boxes of macaroni.  Now, if you could see our pantry right now, you would know we have a LONG position in macaroni.  Unfortunately, I can't pass up free macaroni.  I decided to use the coupons to get macaroni I don't usually buy.  I grabbed some pastina (for quick and easy comfort food) and orzo (for quick and easy side dishes).  

As I meal planned for this week, I found a cool recipe in Giada's Everyday Pasta.  While we didn't have shrimp, I thought it would make a cool side dish.  Now, you may be wondering how we ended up with saffron threads in our spice cabinet.  I mean, we are C-H-E-A-P.  Well, my dad is VERY generous.  And he likes good food.  Dad- this recipe was a winner.  Thanks! 

First, I brought 3 cups of broth and 1 cup of water to a boil.  Why the mix?  Because I forgot to defrost another jar of broth, simple as that.  
When it was boiled, I added some saffron threads and let them simmer.  When they had released a good amount of flavor, I added in a box of orzos, along with some parsley, salt, and pepper.  
That's it!  To reheat it, I added some water, salt, and butter.  John helped out BIG time with the rest of dinner... pork and balsamic roasted asparagus!
This post was posted on Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen's Country Cottage!
 It was featured, too!

Share this:

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

3 comments:

  1. How simple and lovely. The saffron is the perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jackie,
    What a great rice dish. The saffron will give it such a special color and flavor. It looks very comforting. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Jackie,
    You are featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. You are welcome to stop by and pick up your Red Plate, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete