Butternut Squash Take 2- Mashed with Meat

Well, it's not mashed WITH the meat.  It is mashed, with meat on the side.  

With all the leftover squash from the risotto, I had to do something with it.  It had to be big, since there was a TON of squash.  Mashing them seemed like the best bet.  
Allll that squash got simmered with lots of butter and onions.
Chicken stock was added as necessary to get it really really soft.
Eventually it just mashed itself down as I stirred it.  I added in cinnamon and caraway seeds along with the sea salt to give it some awesome flavor.  John loves that combo, because it is the main seasoning in his FAVORITE Lebanese dessert, meghli.  

I made a quick crockpot dish with some grassfed beef I had frozen a while ago.  I layered some sliced onion in the bottom of the crockpot.
Then the defrosted meat was added.
...and the sauce was poured on top.  It was made of olive oil, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper. I couldn't tell you the exact proportions because I didn't measure them.
When it was all in there, I added a bunch of garlic cloves on top for good luck and cooked it on low all day long.

The finished product was delicious and autumnal!


Share this:

0 comments:

Post a Comment