Breakfast Buffet

In my family, the fall is full of birthdays.  While that is super fun, it is also super busy.  It is hard to make time for everyone to feel special and to be given their own day.  This year was especially challenging, because we had my grandfather's 85th birthday celebration on the same weekend as my father's birthday.  I wanted to do something to recognize my dad's day, but there are only so many nights that everyone can get together for dinner.  My solution?

Breakfast buffet!

On Sunday morning, my parents arrived at our house. 
The granola/yogurt station was set up.  (Home made granola/yogurt, dried bananas/cranberries/pinapples/strawberries/coconut/pomegranate seeds, walnuts, pecans, local honey, maple syrup, and agave nectar)
The fruit appetizer platter was constructed. (Starfruit, kiwis, and strawberries)


The pancakes were mixed and ready for their add-ins. (My not-so-secret mix recipe that I will share someday, if you are lucky.  The add-ins were the same choices as for the granola.)
The eggs were waiting to become omelets. (Pastured eggs with your choice of raw mozzarella, raw cheddar, tomatoes, kale, mushrooms, and/or onions)
I manned the electric griddle flippin' pancakes...
While John handled the eggs.
 The finished products were customized for each person!  I apologize for the shadow-ey photos.  It was very early, and very bright. 


It was such an easy (and inexpensive!) way to celebrate his birthday.  He got a delicious home-cooked breakfast customized to his tastes.  We all got to enjoy time together without having to rush home from work to make it to dinner reservations.  All in all, it was a win!

This post was featured on Midnight Maniac's Meatless Monday and Let's Do Brunch!

Share this:

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

2 comments:

  1. That is such a great idea!!
    My family's birthdays are all beginning in January and ending in May and sometimes we eat the same way on all of them, so this is a nice idea.
    Actually for Christmas morning I am thinking of making a build your own crepe breakfast, an idea I got from Rachel's Ray magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your breakfast buffet - what a fantastic idea! The fruit plate looks just beautiful, and I really like the idea of an omelette bar. Plus, you can't go wrong with pancakes - everyone seems to like them! Thank you for sharing this post with Let's Do Brunch. I hope you will come along and link up again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete