Pop-Tarts Part 1-Dough

There is a really really good chance that I am the best wife in the world.  I know, I know, that sounds conceited.  I get it.  But listen.  I mean read.  That sounded weird.  

John was going to a bachelor party.  For 4 days.  In Las Vegas (we live in NJ).  Not only was I all like "have a great time!" I also asked if he wanted me to pack him with any snacks.  WHAT?! Who does that?? 

Me. 

He asked for home-made pop-tarts.  Ouch.  I had mentioned a while back that they were on my list of things I was going to try someday.  As in not soon.  I had never made pastries of any sort, so I wasn't looking forward to this attempt.  I guess he knew this and figured this was his chance to get them made.  What is it about men and their pop-tarts?!

Lucky for you, I hate to disapoint him, so here you have it.  Part 1 of 2 on making pop-tarts.  >>Cue applause<<

I based my recipe upon this recipe.  It was a great jumping point!  I started by mixing together 2 cups of whole wheat pastry flour, 1 Tablespoon of sugar, and 1 teaspoon of sea salt.  I then cut up 1 cup of grassfed butter and added it to the food processor. 
I processed it all until there were still little bits of butter visible. 
As you can see, you need to be able to mush it together to form a ball.  That's when you know it is processed enough. 
The processed dough was then added to a big bowl.  1 large (free-range) egg and 2 Tablespoons of raw whole milk were mixed in.
Until it was dough-ey in consistency. 
I rolled it out on a silicone baking mat until it was pretty thin, but didn't break apart, then stuck it in the fridge to harden up.  That is a VERY important step.  Melty dough is frustrating.  Trust me.
"Pop" by tomorrow (hahaha) to see the filling and the finished tart!

This post was featured on Healthy Kids hosted by Creating Nirvana!

Share this:

0 comments:

Post a Comment