Crockpot Roast Chicken

I know, I know, you are sick of hearing about my obsession with roasted poultry.  This is the last one for a while, I PROOOOMISE.  I just want to share with you the real way I make a crock pot roast chicken and the subsequent stock.  Indulge me?

Oh, and by the way... I am using my shiny new crockpot. 
First, I throw any carrots, onions, garlic, and/or celery into the bottom.  This time, I only had a carrot and some garlic.

Then I plop a chicken on top.  Lately I have been ordering 2 or 3 lb. free range chickens from my milk/cheese delivery company.  
Sometimes, I season the chicken.  Lemon, adobo, garlic, anything is good.  The only thing left to do it cook it for a good, long time on low.  It soaks in its own juices by the end of it.  
I take it out for a minute when it is done and cut out as much of the meat as I can.  Usually we eat the legs for dinner that night, save the breasts for something else, and the scraps go into soup.  Everything that is left goes back into the pot filled with water and the frozen scraps you have been saving.  You HAVE been saving them, haven't you?
I won't bore you with the details of this again, so if you need stock-making details, click on over here.  Unless you want to see a fail.  Then, click here.

This post was featured on Simple Lives Thursday over at GNOWFGLINS and The Hearth and Soul Bloghop!

Share this:

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

8 comments:

  1. Nice crockpot gift!! Was thinking of a crockpot something tomorrow, and this might be it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do my whole chickens the same way...so easy and much less intimidating than cutting up a whole bird. Still haven't tried that one yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jackie,
    Your Chicken looks very good. I would like to invite you to bring a dish to my Full Plate Thursday. Thank you for sharing and you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It doesn't get better than this, I also add a couple of chicken feet to the stock when it goes on to cook. Good food is always worth sharing with others, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @MelyndaI haven't been able to find a good source for other chicken parts yet, but as soon as I do, I will be trying your tip. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my that sounds lovely! There is nothing like a roast chicken- and I really like your crockpot recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is what I do - I love a chicken roasted in the crockpot! and the broth it makes is out of this world! Thanks for sharing this with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for showing me this.

    You know, I used to cook it in the crockpot and totally forgot! That's the only way to make broth in my opinion! So much easier than the stove top.

    That would be one less dish I'd have to wash too.

    ReplyDelete