Bread Bowls!

After yesterdays flop, I wanted to give you something GREAT!  Bread bowls!

This is based completely on this recipe.  Perhaps that is why it worked so well.  

First, I dissolved 2 1/2 t of active dry yeast in 2 1/2 cups of warm/hot water (it was maybe 105*-110* degrees?) in a warmed mixer bowl.  To warm the mixer bowl, I just run a little hot water over it.  Since it is metal, it heats up pretty quickly
When it was all dissolved, I added 2 t of sea salt and 2 T of olive oil...
... and 4 cups of (whole wheat pastry) flour.

Into the stand mixer it went! 2 more cups of (unbleached white) flour were added as it mixed until it was cleaning the sides of the bowl. 

When it had a sticky dough-ey consistency, I placed it into a well-oiled bowl and let it rise.

**Trick to getting it to rise in our REALLY COLD house?  Boil water in a pot and then place the pot of water in the oven on the bottom rack.  The bowl of dough is then covered with a damp rag and put on the top rack.  The steam keeps it moist and the heat helps it rise.

I took the risen dough and separate it into 6 somewhat equal pieces.  Close enough.

I shaped each piece into a small round loaf.

The dough rose again.  I didn't let it rise too much, but they still worked out pretty well.

While the dough was rising, the oven should have been preheating to 400*.  The little doughs went into the oven for 15 minutes while I prepared the egg wash (some egg whites left over from Eggnog making... and 1/2 a yolk.  No biggie)
After the dough had baked for 15 minutes, they were taken out and washed with egg.
Back into the oven they went for another 10 minutes or so... just until they had a nice color.  
OOOoooohhhhh, pretty!  The tops got sliced off and the inside dough-ey part was scooped out. 
 John used the tops for his famous garlic bread, and the insides will probably become stuffing.  Check out tomorrow for the soup that graced these divine bowls!


Share this:

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

2 comments:

  1. Ooooooooo - love these!! So comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post totally inspires me to make bread bowls! I love them in restaurants but never thought to make my own to fill with soup. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete