What To Do With Whey

After making ricotta cheese the other day, I was left with more than a quart of whey.  I wanted to use it, but I already had a plethora of lacto-fermented veggies, which is what I usually use it for.  After some extensive research (Google), I decided to try making bread with it.  I found a recipe that seemed hard to screw up, which was important to me after my last bread disaster. 
To start, I melted 5 T of butter in 1 cup of milk and 3/4 cup of whey. 
As it melted, I mixed together 5 cups of flour, 2 t salt, 1 T coconut palm sugar, and 4 1/2 t yeast.
When the butter was melted, I added it to the dry ingredients.
I used the stand mixer to knead it together for about 5 minutes.  Then, I shaped it into 2 funny-looking loaves.
I placed the loaves on the toaster oven, crossed my fingers, and hoped it would rise.  It did!
It baked in the oven 425* for about half an hour.  I would show you a picture, but John dug into it before I could.  It is a simple-tasting bread, but I like the idea that the whey added a little something extra.  Even if there is no nutritional value to it, I used a byproduct of cooking that would have otherwise gone to waste. 

Other things I used the whey for? 
Soaking Beans
Cooking Rice for this delish risotto!  I will share THAT with you next time.
This post was shared on Your Green Resource and Pennywise Platter Thursday!

Share this:

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

1 comments:

  1. I am glad your bread turned out good! I like to use whey in mayo and let it sit out on the counter overnight after making it, so that it will keep in the fridge for several months instead of just a week or to.

    I was under the impressional that it did have alot of nutritional value (good source of protein, essential amino acids in the proper proportions, and it can help with a wide range of bioactive functions, such as iron binding, tissue repair, maintenance of intestinal integrity, resistance to pathogens and elimination of toxins. Some of that info, I just copied from this article: http://www.dairyglobalnutrition.org/NutrInfo/content.cfm?ItemNumber=88387&navItemNumber=88574)

    I always add some to my smoothies for extra nutrition too!

    ReplyDelete