Most Complicated Raisin Bread. Ever.

I posted on Facebook about a month ago that I was attempting a complicated (for me) bread recipe.  I am finally recovered from that experience to write about it.  

Before I jump into the story, let me just say that I'm sure the original recipe is fine, and I don't have the patience or the eye for detail to make it correctly.  

 I should have gotten the clue when I assembled the ingredients that I was out of my league. 
The recipe made 3 loaves-too much in my opinion. I decided to cut it in thirds.  Given the fact that original amounts were things like one and seven-eighths cups, it went against all common sense. But, I didn't listen to common sense.  

I stayed on course, soaking the raisins to make them nice and plump.
Soaking the oatmeal...
Proofing the yeast...
and THAT was all before I even started the actual mixing!  Picture me, with my calculator, desperately attempting to make something happen.  I mixed the yeast together with the other ingredients.
Then, I added in the soaked oatmeal and kneaded it.
And kneaded it and kneaded it.
Have I ever mentioned that I am terrible at kneading?  I am terrible at kneading.  Anyway, I tried to mix in the raisins at this point.  Oh yeah, and the cinnamon, which I had forgotten about. 
Then, I let it rise... and rise... and rise.  Nothing really happened.  Let's just say that it didn't rise or look anything like the original photos. 
I baked it anyway, and it was dense, obviously.  I was also surprised by the dull flavoring.  For all the ingredients, math, and work, it was very blah.  

Lesson learned.  When a recipe is WAY TOO HARD, it is probably not worth it.  In my world, the recipes have to be user-friendly.

Share this:

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

2 comments:

  1. LOL - I love that you had to get the calculator out! Sorry it turned out so disappointing! That is what I was talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a bummer! I am sorry it turned out crappy... I really hate it when that happens. Especially after you put all of that effort into it!

    ReplyDelete