Freezer Sandwich Bread

I've already shared a few bread recipes with you, but I have another one!  This one is meant to be frozen before it is baked, and then it can be defrosted and baked whenever.  This is perfect for crazy busy weeks when I still want home made bread.  

To make this bread, I started by heating up 4 cups of whole milk with 1/4 cup of butter.  The original recipe called for water and dry milk, but I am not a fan of dry milk.
While that heated up, I mixed together 4 packages worth of active dry yeast , 1/2 a cup of rapadura, and 4 t of salt.
Next, I stirred in 4 cups of flour.
Once the bowl was hooked up to the stand mixer, I slowly mixed in the milk/butter mixture. 
As the mixer turned, I stirred in more flour.  The recipe called for a total of 11.5-12.5 cups.  I think I used a total of 8 cups.  I knew it was done when it looked like, well, dough.  I let the stand mixer knead it for 10 more minutes.
It was a HUUUUGE chunk of dough.  This recipe is supposed to make 4 loaves of bread, so you can imagine how much dough this is.  
I kneaded it by hand for a few minutes, and then let it rest.  After 15 minutes, I split it into 4 equal pieces.
Then, I shaped each into a loaf, wrapped them in plastic wrap, and froze them.
I took one out this week and baked it (at 375 for about a half hour) after letting it defrost and rise.  What did we use it for?  You'll just have to wait and see!

Share this:

0 comments:

Post a Comment