Kids Can Cook: Australian eggs!


When I was a kid, one of my favorite breakfasts was something my dad made called "Australian Eggs."  I finally asked him where the name came from.  He said they ate them like that when he was a kid, and one day his sister-in-law (who is Australian) said she was going to make a fancy breakfast for them, called Australian Eggs.  The name stuck!

As much as I loved them, I never made them.  Ever.  Why?  Because I couldn't boil an egg.

There.  I said it.

Yes, I can bake bread.  I'm no stranger to fermenting and I'm not scared of  screwing up a time or two.  Somehow, boiling eggs terrified me and was beyond my skill set.

Until now.  Enter THIS:
How to Make the Perfect Boiled Egg, Every Way, Every Time
http://greatist.com/eat/perfect-boiled-eggs-tips

I finally had the nerve to try it, so I decided to take Jemma along for the ride.  You know, to save her from my issues.

To make Australian Eggs, You boil some eggs, butter (or coconut oil for those of us who are dairy free) some toast, and mix them all together with a little salt and pepper.  The trick is you MUST mix it all together by hand.  I don't know what it is about it, but you can't just toss it.  You have to tear the bread up with your hands and mix it all together.

Jemma helped by:

  • Putting the eggs in the cold pot of water
  • Peeling the eggs once they were boiled and cool
  • Tearing up the bread
  • Mixing it all together

GENTLY placing the eggs in the water
Cracking...

Peeling...
Pre-Smush
Smushed!

Do you have any favorite childhood dishes with a backstory?
Yes, princess dresses make it taste better. 
This post was shared on Melt in your Mouth Mondays and What's Cooking Wednesday

Share this:

0 comments:

Post a Comment