Baking before it's Bad

For some reason, our fridge is veeeery bare right now.  I was hungry, but I didn't know for what.  I had also been wanting to bake.  I don't mean that I was thinking about baking, but more that I had an unstoppable urge to bake.  I was staring at the dismal selection I had to work with, and I realized I had the following:
1 cup of souring raw milk
2 pastured eggs
3 overly brown bananas

Those just HAD to come together into banana bread, right?  Scrounging around in the freezer found a sprinkling of walnuts, too... OOOooooooo!

The only teensey weensey little bitty problem?  John HATES bananas with a capital HATE.  Can't even stand the smell of them.  Not that this stopped me from making it, but I don't like to make things he hates without making something he will like to go with it. 

What would I bake for him?!?!  I only had 2 eggs, after all, and I was trying to use up the milk.  I was able to find a recipe for Molasses cookies!  I don't particularly like them, but John loves him some molasses.  This recipe only needed 1 egg, and the banana bread needed 2, so I split the banana bread recipe in 1/2.  I was going to be the only one eating it anyway, and I didn't need 2 loaves.  

Brilliant. 

Banana Bread Ingredients:
  • 1 Cup Unbleached Flour
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup grass fed butter
  • 1/8 cup sour raw whole milk
  • 1 cup mushed up over ripe banana (2 bananas)
  • 1 pastured egg
  • 1/2 tsp real vanilla extract
  • another 1/8 cup sour raw whole milk
  • sprinkling of walnuts
First, I mixed all the dry ingredients together except the sugar (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt)
Then, I added the butter, sugar, banana, and 1/8 cup of sour milk...

and beat them up!
The rest of the milk, the egg, and the vanilla were put in the bowl next.
After it was all sufficiently beat up, they were put into a loaf pan.
The loaf made its way into the 350* oven for about 10 minutes before it was removed and covered in walnuts.
It was then returned to the oven and cooked for about another 15 minutes.  When a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf came out clean, I knew it was done.
Whoa.  Check out that walnut action!

I have to say that this was HANDS DOWN the best banana bread I have ever eaten.  EVER.  I then brought it in to work with me and shared it.  It went TOO fast.


Unfortunately, the molasses cookies were an epic failure.  By epic failure, I mean they were charred up black cups of death.  The dough never solidified, so I put them into a muffin tray.  They never solidified there, either.  They were SO GROSS.  There aren't even any photos.  That's how bad. 

Oh well.  You win some, you lose some.

Share this:

0 comments:

Post a Comment